BLAKE Inspire for Teachers
For teachers who are passionate about developing their environmental knowledge
BLAKE Inspire for Teachers brings together primary and intermediate educators from all over New Zealand who are keen to develop a deeper understanding of environmental issues and make a bigger impact on their students by applying environmental education across literacy, math and science.
Fully-funded by the Ministry of Education (excluding travel) BLAKE Inspire is a five-day, hands-on, practical environmental education and leadership development course in Auckland from 30 September to 4 October 2019.
During the week delegates will be teamed with world-leading scientists, environmental leaders and experts in their fields to learn about topical issues such as climate change, freshwater quality, biodiversity and ocean health. The programme will provide teachers with experiential learning opportunities about environmental issues and develop their ability to translate the experience to their students to encourage environmental action.
BLAKE Inspire is the first part of a six-month programme. During phase two, delegates will go on to implement new cross-curricular units and environmental education action plans into their schools. Upon successful completion, delegates will receive a BLAKE Environmental Education Certificate. To gain the BLAKE Environmental Education Certificate, teachers will need to present (online or in person to BLAKE) the changes and actions they have implemented in their school or classroom.
What will teachers experience at BLAKE Inspire?
- Marine and coastal exercise in and around the Hauraki Gulf
- Visit a predator free island to better understand New Zealand’s biodiversity challenges
- Visit a leading New Zealand business delivering sustainability initiatives across their organisation
- Visit a Marae to learn about Mātauranga Māori and understand their sustainability initiatives
- Take part in a series of learning experiences with subject matter experts.
What will teachers gain from BLAKE Inspire?
- Teachers will be eligible to receive the BLAKE Environmental Education Certificate.
- Learn from a range of experts across science, business and government.
- Learn new ways to understand and teach environmental issues.
- Learn how to develop sustainability programmes in their schools.
- Learn to empower students to understand the purpose of sustainability as kaitiaki.
- Learn to incorporate the Nature of Science with tikanga and Mātauranga Māori.
- Develop deeper understanding of science capabilities.
- Create new cross-curricular units with subject experts.
- Have ongoing access to subject experts such as marine biologists, climate scientists, and Ministry of Education staff through the BLAKE network.
- Connect with an active and ongoing network of other inspiring educators.
DATES: 30 September to 4 October 2019 (during the first week of the Term 3 holidays)
COST: BLAKE Inspire is fully-funded by the Ministry of Education (excluding travel costs to Auckland). All activities, accommodation and food are included in the programme.
WHO CAN APPLY: School teachers from primary and intermediate schools and Kura all over New Zealand
Applications now closed
For more information email Jacob Anderson at email@example.com or phone 09 307 8875